10.08.2009

Autumn means pumpkins!

Autumn is finally here! This is one of my most favorite times of the year. Seeing beautiful pumpkins and gourds, cooking with nutmeg and sage, and feeling that crisp chill in the air are just a few reasons to enjoy the season.

Autumn also means school is back in full swing for me, which is the main reason my posting frequency has been... eh, a bit less frequent. I haven't forgotten about you and although I'm not posting regularly, I'm not going anywhere and I'm working on a ton of exciting projects that I will share with you all when the time is right ;)

I figured since it's been a while since the last post, I'd be sure and give you a full-fledged post this time. So, sit back and get ready for lots of useful information. I also just wanted to give a quick acknowledgment to all the new subscribers and offer you a warm welcome!

What I have for you first is another new recipe. A pumpkin pasta! Well, actually a regular pasta with a pumpkin sauce, but you get the idea...

Pumpkin Pasta

2 TBS Earth Balance
1 medium onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 TBS dried sage, ground (or 2 TBS fresh, chopped)
1/4 tsp nutmeg (fresh grated is best, but pre-ground is okay too!)
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp salt (more or less to taste)
1/4 C sun-dried tomatoes, cut into small strips
1 14.5 oz can of pureed pumpkin
1 C soy milk
1/2 lb (1/2 block) of tofu, cut into 1/4" cubes
2 TBS nutritional yeast
1/2 lb (1/2 package) of whole wheat linguine, cooked

In a sauce pan over medium heat, cook the Earth Balance, onions, and garlic until the onions turn translucent. Add the sage, nutmeg, pepper, salt, and sun-dried tomatoes and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the pumpkin and soy milk. Stir until everything is well combined. Add the tofu and nutritional yeast and cook for several minutes until the sauce is thoroughly heated. Finally, turn off the heat and toss with your cooked pasta.

Serves 2-4



While I haven't been blogging myself much lately, I have been scanning the many vegan blogs across the internet and noticing all the wonderful fall posts. Here are some of the highlights of the season I thought you would enjoy as well:

Curried Sweet Potato & Wild Rice Soup (via Happy Herbivore)
Pumpkin Custard (via Vegan Dad)
Quick and Simple Apple Pie Bars (via BitterSweet)
Sweet Potato, Okra, and Chickpea Gumbo (via FatFreeVegan)
Easy Cream of Broccoli Soup (via UrbanVegan)

Speaking of Urban Vegan, her new cookbook is out now! I had the pleasure of testing recipes for the book and will do a complete review sometime soon, but in the meantime I suggest you get a copy. You can certainly pumpkin yourself out with her Chocolate-Pumpkin Bread Pudding, Pumpkin Risotto with Sage and Sun-Dried Tomatoes, Pumpkin Spice Baby Bundts, Pumpkin-Daal Soup, and of course Punka' Pie! In case you missed it, check out my interview with Urban Vegan from a few months back.

In light of the autumn season, I've recently picked up a couple of comforting vegan items that I thought you might enjoy as well. I'm totally in love with Crazy Rumors Lip Balm that comes in several fall flavors like Ginger Peach, Apple Spice, and Spiced Chai. Luna and Chico have also been celebrating the season by chowing down on Wet Noses Vegan Pumpkin Treats, I tried one myself and they're pretty good. Did I really just admit that?? And lastly, keep warm on those cool autumn nights with the completely vegan Sliquid Sizzling Warming Intimate Lubricant ;)

Well, it's now time to begin thinking about what I will cook up for this year's Thanksgiving celebration! Here's a lovely photo post from Thanksgiving two years back when this blog was still a baby. You can search Thanksgiving in the search box at the top of this page to find more past Thanksgiving posts and recipes.

Lastly, please note that if you type in eatingconsciously.com into your browser, you will notice it is not working. I am aware of the situation and it should be back and running in 5-7 days because I'm in the midst of transferring the domain. Just in case you wanted to know. Also, I'm currently working on a study for school that will assess and increase the knowledge of vegans concerning B12 function and absorption. If you're interested in taking part, please send me an email.

That's all for now and I hope to return sooner rather than later with new recipes, review, and maybe even a giveaway! Until then...




Don't miss another post! Subscribe to Eating Consciously by Email

Find me elsewhere...

www.veganfacebook.com
www.vegantwitter.com
www.veganexaminer.com
www.veganyoutube.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions/comments/concerns?

Propaganda propelled by a gay vegan.