2.13.2008

General Tso's Sauce

I made up this recipe for general tso's sauce last night and it tastes exactly like that stuff you get from the chinese places, but this is actually not so bad for you. Here it goes:

1/2 c water
2 TBS agave nectar
2 tbs tamari (I like reduced sodium)
1 tbs canola oil (leave out if you wish)
3 cloves garlic (pressed or mushed into a paste)
1 tbs orange juice (I use lemon in a pinch)
1/2 tsp ginger (I used powdered, but fresh would be much better)
1/4 tsp tumeric
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (or less depending on your taste)
1/4 tsp xanthan gum (feel free to leave this out, I only added it to make the sauce thicker)
salt and pepper to taste

Put all ingredients into a saute pan and simmer over medium heat for about 15 minutes. When is reduces a bit and starts to get thick and bubbly, remove it from the heat and let it cool slightly. Use a wire whisk to mix it to a smooth consistency. Serve with whatever you like.

I served it with asian veggies and baked tempeh and served it over brown rice. Yum!

4 comments:

  1. Looking at that dish at this time of evening makes my stomach start to grumble. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy. Wouuld go as a wonderful glaze for some braised flank steak, or on chicken wings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Okay, meatball.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well now I feel bad for poking at you! Seriously the Sauce looks great. I apologize for my comment.

    ReplyDelete

Questions/comments/concerns?

Propaganda propelled by a gay vegan.