5.19.2009

Dressing up for animals and a happy vegan ending!

Well hello! It's been a bit longer than usual since my last post, but I have been really busy this past week. I figured I'd share some of the highlights from the past week with all of you.

For starters, I did another interview this past week and this time it was on Vegetarian Stew, which is a vegan radio show on FM radio out in Grand Junction, CO. It's not up online, YET, but you will be happy to know the interview will be up in my next podcast episode which should be up in the next few days. The hosts even asked me about some of my "10 Stupid Questions Vegan Get Asked" and I gave them some more compelling answers than my original tounge-in-cheek responses.

On Friday, I went to a circus demonstration to tell Ringling that they are not welcome in Philadephia. I even wore the heavy elephant costume in 80 degree weather to try and engage the children that were visiting with their parents. It was amazing to see the look on the kids' faces when they realized the tears on the elephant costume were not tears of joy. Here's a video of me in the costume as well as footage of some of the other local activists gearing up in the infamous elephant suit.



Wearing that elephant suit could not prepare me for the next costume I was to adorn. My partner and I headed up to the Veggie Pride Parade in NYC to wear Viva Vegie's Penelo Pea Pod and PETA's Chris P. Carrot costumes. Together, these two characters made the parade happen! Fortunately, my friend Lisa was able to wear the Penelo Pea Pod costume for the parade while I handed out Veggie Pride Parade program guides to bystanders. I wore the costume after the parade for the festival in Union Square that had great vegan food, music, exhibitors and speakers. Unfortunately for my partner, he didn't have a swap out, so he wore the Chris P. Carrot suit all day long!

I went up a day early to help out and stayed at this cool vegetarian commune-esque place that donates all their profits to giving vegetarian meals to the homeless. It doesn't have a name, but you can call 212.473.3558 since everyone keeps asking about it. I even got to meet up with some really awesome people who were a lot of fun to hang out with like Bernie Goetz and Dave Warwak. It was great spending so much time with so many inspirational and like-minded people. A special thanks to Pamela Rice for coordinating this whole thing both last year and this year! I documented a bit of the weekend for you to enjoy and also provided some pictures.









On Monday, I once again coordinated and put on the monthly Vegan Drinks Philly event. It was another success and we had a lot of fun. I even got a generous donation of Vrapple from my friend, Sarah Cain, who started and runs the company herself and who I will be interviewing in the near future.

After all of that fun this past week, it was back to work today. I had to end on a sweet note and of course a recipe since I haven't been providing you many new ones recently. I have many piling up that will be here soon. I'm also working hard on my ebook that will be out next month and will include some new recipes along with some of the Eating Consciously favorites! So, here's that sweet ending I promised ;)

Strawberry Sundae

2 scoops vanilla non-dairy ice cream
2 TBS of my chocolate ganache, heated
2 TBS walnuts, coarsely chopped
3 strawberries, cut into quarters

In a bowl, plop the ice cream and top with the remaining ingredients. Feel free to top with some non-dairy whipped cream if you have it.



Now that's a happy ending. I hope that helps make up for my lack of postings lately ;)

Subscribe to Eating Consciously by Email




I'm on Facebook too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions/comments/concerns?

Propaganda propelled by a gay vegan.