8.08.2009

Vegan Pasta Florentine

I'm back again with another recipe for you! I've been cranking them out lately ;) So, only two more days left until my summer class is over and I get a few weeks to relax before the fall semester. Ah, the joys of being a nutrition student. Did I mention I have a graduation date, finally? May 2011! Seems far out, but it's not really. Then I'll be a registered dietitian that actually tells people what they should be eating and how their food choices impact the environment, their own health, and the lives of animals. Until then, I'll continue entertaining you with my vegan recipes and babblings.

While we are on the subject of babbling, I wanted to make sure everyone is familiar with Eating Consciously Podcast. You can download episodes from the site, or you can listen and subscribe to them in iTunes, which is preferable if you can ;) I have lots of interesting interviews lined up and the latest episode features Debra Erenberg from the Rainforest Action Network to tell us what's wrong with Earth Balance! Also, don't forget to read my vegan column over at the Examiner.com and definitely follow me on Twitter!

Well, I did mention a recipe, didn't I? Yes! I've had tons of fresh home-grown tomatoes coming at me from all directions since it's that time of year here in Philadelphia. Tomatoes, tomatoes everywhere. I decided a great way to really enjoy their sweetness would be to pair them with a light cream sauce and some chopped spinach with whole wheat pasta. It worked! This recipe rocks!!



Pasta Florentine

1/2 lb whole wheat pasta, cooked
1 small onion, chopped
1 TBS olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 lb frozen spinach
2 C fresh tomatoes, diced
1 TBS nutritional yeast
1/2 block of tofu, extra firm
1/2 C soy milk
2 tsp vinegar
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt


In a saucepan over medium heat, saute the onions, oil, and garlic until the onions become translucent. Toss in the spinach, tomatoes, and nutritional yeast. Continue to cook over medium heat. In the meantime, puree the tofu, soy milk, vinegar, salt, and pepper in a food processor. Pour this mixture into the pan with the other ingredients and cook for an additional two minutes, stirring the entire time. Turn off the heat and toss with the cooked pasta.


I'll be back soon with more recipes and please know that I'm working on a ton of exciting, secret projects to come here on Eating Consciously! Until then...


Don't miss another post! Subscribe to Eating Consciously by Email


I'm on Facebook too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions/comments/concerns?

Propaganda propelled by a gay vegan.