1.05.2008

Macaroons!



These macaroons are probably the best I've ever eaten! I took 100 of them to a family gathering and they were all gone by the time I left. Try them, they're not only soft and chewy, but they're not overly sweet either.

Ingredients:

12 ouces shredded dry coconut (use macaroon coconut if available, it's just a smaller shred. also-this measurement is by weight, not volume)
2 tablespoons soy milk
2/3 cup rice syrup
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cinnamon
jelly, jam, or fruit preserves

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Mix together coconut, soy milk, rice syrup, and spices.
3) Use a tablespoon to portion out the mixture and roll into balls. Place the balls on a cookie sheet and use your thumb to make an imprint in the middle. They will seem to fall apart, so just pack and reshape them back together leaving the imprint in the middle (trust me, they will stay together once they cook).
4) Add a small amount of jelly, jam, or fruit preserves to the center of each macaroon.
5) Place in 350 degree oven for 10-12 minutes.
6) Let cool to room temperature and eat! Tip: If you put them into the fridge, make sure to let them sit out before serving as they become rather hard when chilled.

3 comments:

  1. Do you think I could substitute agave nectar for the rice syrup?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!

    I am not entirely vegan as you are, although many of my meals are. I have digestive sensitivities to many soy products, sweets, yeasts, wheat and other grains, flour foods, beans, and even some vegetarian choices like cow dairy products too. So my choices are much more limited and any of the above I have in moderation when I do, although usually I steer clear on most occasions.

    I do what I can and I am contributing as compassionately and conscientiously as I can, and any animal products I do eat they are in moderation and/or seldom.

    You are right, and I agree, the average person does eat far too much meat. It is like they are greedy for meat, and everywhere I turn there is some new meat on the market, it is crazy. (Shaking head as I write this)

    I too have vegan recipes I add to my blog, in case you are interested in learning what others have to share too.

    Maybe you would be interested in exchanging links too? I would love to add yours to my blog!

    Many blessings to you and yours and thanks for sharing this macaroon recipe (one of my fav sweet treats!) I wonder if you would mind if I posted this recipe on my blog, pointing to your site and giving you credit as well.

    Thanks again and I appreciate your compassionate choices. :) We are both doing what we can, within our means. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love agave nectar, but I have a feeling it may be a bit too runny to hold everything together in this particular recipe. I would try it anyway! You may want to also add an egg replacer such as Ener-G, or in a food processor, blend 1 TBS of whole flax seeds with 3 TBS of water. See if that works. Let me know!

    ReplyDelete

Questions/comments/concerns?

Propaganda propelled by a gay vegan.