These macaroons are probably the best I've ever eaten! I took 100 of them to a family gathering and they were all gone by the time I left. Try them, they're not only soft and chewy, but they're not overly sweet either.
12 ouces shredded dry coconut (use macaroon coconut if available, it's just a smaller shred. also-this measurement is by weight, not volume)
2 tablespoons soy milk
2/3 cup rice syrup
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cinnamon
jelly, jam, or fruit preserves
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Mix together coconut, soy milk, rice syrup, and spices.
3) Use a tablespoon to portion out the mixture and roll into balls. Place the balls on a cookie sheet and use your thumb to make an imprint in the middle. They will seem to fall apart, so just pack and reshape them back together leaving the imprint in the middle (trust me, they will stay together once they cook).
4) Add a small amount of jelly, jam, or fruit preserves to the center of each macaroon.
5) Place in 350 degree oven for 10-12 minutes.
6) Let cool to room temperature and eat! Tip: If you put them into the fridge, make sure to let them sit out before serving as they become rather hard when chilled.