3.30.2009

Tofu Scramble

Well, it has only been 6 days since my last post and with all that's going on the world of Eating Consciously, I would say I'm doing a pretty good job at keeping up ;)

I just confirmed the date for the next Vegan Drinks Philly event which will occur on 4.20.09! It's great to see how many like-minded people there are just in the Philadelphia area, let alone throughout the world that I am able to connect with via my blog, Twitter, and Facebook. It's really astounding and inspiring.

My Spring semester will also be coming to a close over the next couple of weeks, so with two big projects due soon, that should keep me relatively occupied. One of the projects is a food modification project where I have to take a recipe, change it to make it healthier in some way, and do a full taste, texture, and appearance profile on it. It's more involved than it sounds, trust me ;) I have decided I use use my Dark Chocolate Brownie recipe and exchange the fat for pureed black beans. Should be interesting. I'll keep you updated.

With all of this exciting stuff going on, I need something to fuel the vegan fire! One of my favorite savory breakfast meals is a salty and satisfying tofu scramble. If you do it right, it tastes pretty darn close to real eggs! On a side note, my experimental foods professor recently asked the class to come up with a menu name for some random egg dish on our last test. I answered with "Ovulation Delight!" ;) This tofu scramble is certainly not the end product of anyone's ovulation cycle, but it sure is tasty!



Tofu Scramble

1 TBS Earth Balance, or olive oil
1 small onion (chopped)
1 clove garlic (minced)
1 block extra firm tofu (crumbled)
2 TBS nutritional yeast
1/4 tsp turmeric
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 C frozen peas (optional)

In a large pan, heat the Earth Balance, onions, and garlic over medium heat until the onions become translucent. Add the crumbled tofu, nutritional yeast, turmeric, salt and pepper, and the peas if desired. Allow to continue to heat until everything is nice and hot. Serve with two slices of whole wheat toast, or on it's own.

It doesn't get any easier than that folks! Try it out and let me know what you think.

Speaking of trying things out, I had mentioned a few posts back that I will be writing a cookbook. Well, I have decided to start out with an ebook, which will serve as the precursor to my actual printed version. Now, for those of you who aren't tech-savvy, don't be afraid. Ebooks are just simple PDF documents that can be opened on your computer just like any word document.

The beauty of an ebook is that in addition to the recipes, I can add my useful videos of myself preparing the meals and links to direct you to find out more. Everything is really preliminary, but I think the ebook will have about 25 recipes that will basically be the best of the Eating Consciously blog with some added bonuses. Obviously, my printed cookbook, which will arrive sometime later, will be much more extensive, but this compact little ebook should really come in handy for you. I will let you know the title soon.

All that being said, I am going to need some recipe testers. The recipes have to work, right? ;) Should you be interested in helping out, shoot me an email. All the testers will receive a free copy of my ebook once it's complete, plus you'll basically get the sneak peak on everything that's going on with it.

Okay, I think this post has gone on long enough. Just know that I have just created one of my tastiest recipes ever, if I don't say so myself. Vegan crab cakes!! Be sure and subscribe below so you don't miss that one! Until then...

Subscribe to Eating Consciously by Email




I'm on Facebook too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions/comments/concerns?

Propaganda propelled by a gay vegan.