7.27.2009

Vegan Tofu-Mushroom Spread

Well, I'm finally settled in after spending the last week in Los Angeles for the Animal Rights Conference 2009. I have lots of pictures to share with you from my fabulous trip to LA, but I thought it best to share something a bit more special with you today. A new recipe! It's been a bit since I've put up a new recipe and I'll be sure and share photos and stories about Animal Rights 2009 with you in the near future. You need something to look forward to, right?

I was craving something intensely savory this afternoon and decided to whip up this recipe for lunch. I had a handful of cremini (baby bella) mushrooms, some tofu, and some whole wheat bread. It seemed that a spread of some sort was definitely in order.



Tofu-Mushroom Spread

2 TBS olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 TBS whole wheat pastry flour
1 TBS nutritional yeast
1 C cremini mushrooms, roughly chopped
2 TBS sun-dried tomatoes, diced
1 C soy milk
1/2 block of tofu, crumbled


In a saucepan over medium heat, cook the oil and garlic briefly for about two minutes. Add the salt, pepper, nutmeg, flour, nutritional yeast, and mushrooms. Cook over medium heat until mushrooms begin to soften, stirring often. Add the sun-dried tomatoes, soy milk and tofu. Allow the mixture to simmer over medium heat, stirring frequently until the sauce has thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to stand for two minutes where the sauce will thicken slightly more. Serve over toast or with crackers.

Serves 2.


In other exciting news, this marks the 200th post since my blog began way back in 2007! Thanks to all of those who continue to support Eating Consciously by subscribing via email and commenting on posts. It's always interesting to see how people stumble upon this blog and I'm sure we've probably had many unexpected visitors over the past two years. Let me explain. I use software that can tell me exactly which search terms people are using to find Eating Consciously. I thought you'd enjoy some of the more humorous ones:

"vegans are stupid"

"conscience confections eugene"

"cucumber salad evolution"

"diets eating whatever you want"

"how would i prepare hunan dumpling from whole foods"

"stupid vegan -queer -lyrics"

"the best tofu parmesan ever"

"what to do with large cucumbers"

Hopefully, those people were able to find the answers to all those questions and more ;)


Don't miss another post! Subscribe to Eating Consciously by Email

I'm on Facebook too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions/comments/concerns?

Propaganda propelled by a gay vegan.