3.07.2010

Freeing the tiramisu and seagull!



So, I finally got the chance here to sit down and put this Tiramisu recipe together. In my experience, making GOOD vegan tiramisu is quite an accomplishment and I'm so glad I was finally able to come up with something that's good and doesn't use a ton of costly, processed ingredients. I think the slight coconut flavor of the whipped topping in this compliments the coffee and cake perfectly too!

Vegan Tiramisu


1, 9" vanilla cake cut into 1" thick strips
2 C very strong coffee, cold (triple brew it, or use a french press)
2 batches of Creamy Coconut Topping (double the recipe)
1/2 of a 3 oz bar vegan dark chocolate, shaved (use a grater or chop with a knife)


Make sure your cake, coffee, and coconut cream are all chilled, or at least below room temperature. Pour the coffee into a bowl. Get out a 9" square glass pan. Dip each strip of cake into the coffee very briefly and begin to cover the bottom of the pan. Only use half of the cake. You can use your hands to push the moist cake down and spread it out in the bottom of the pan.

Then, use half of the Creamy Coconut Topping and spread it over the moist cake layer. Sprinkle half of the chocolate over that. Then, begin another layer of coffee-soaked cake. Again, push the cake down with your hands to gently spread it around a bit. Top with the rest of the whipped topping and finish off with the remaining chocolate. Place into fridge and allow to chill for at least one hour before serving.

Serves 6-8.



On another sweet note, I finally got the chance the other day to release the seagull I rescued from the highway last month. I recorded it with video so I could share the experience with all of you too! It's such a great feeling releasing a wild animal back to its natural habitat. Have you ever had the experience? Please share your stories.

Also, I wanted to make mention that this particular rescue would not have been possible if it were not for the help of Tri-State Bird Rescue and Research. I made a donation to them the day I dropped off the seagull to help cover his expenses, but these kinds of organizations always need money to continue great rescue work like this. I wanted to encourage everyone to visit their website to find out how you can help to be sure these kinds of rescue stories can continue!



Don't miss another post! Subscribe to Eating Consciously by Email

Find me elsewhere...

www.veganfacebook.com
www.vegantwitter.com
www.veganexaminer.com
www.veganyoutube.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions/comments/concerns?

Propaganda propelled by a gay vegan.