4.23.2008

Mock chicken, saving the planet, and recipe links!

Happy belated Earth Day! I was going to make a post yesterday, but couldn't find the time and figured it wasn't extremely important to acknowledge Earth Day, since I believe it is Earth Day everyday. Especially when you're vegan, which as you know is perhaps the most one person can do to help protect the environment. In honor of Earth Day, I did come up with a new use for and old pan that I would have otherwise thrown away. I put all my potted herbs on it to catch the water and make it easy to relocate them throughout the house. Check it out:



I also came up with a delicious mock chicken dish yesterday made with my General Tso's Sauce and baked, breaded, seitan. You can now easily locate the recipe for the sauce by navigating through the recipe links over on the side bar. For the seitan, I made my own cause it's a lot cheaper, but you can buy it already made too. Here's how I made the breading:

1 C whole wheat pastry flour
1 C water
2 TBS ground flax seeds
1/4 tsp salt

Mix all the above ingredients in a bowl vigorously, to allow the flax seeds to become gummy and bind everything together really well. Then, dip small chunks of seitan into the batter and place on a baking pan lined with parchment. Put into a 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes. They are done when they turn golden brown. Mix the breaded seitan with the General Tso's sauce and serve over brown rice. If you have any broccoli around, I would steam that and add it to the dish! Here's how mine turned out:

1 comment:

  1. This looks great. I think I am going to try it tonight. I already have the seitan cooked and the rice cooker going. Now to batter and bake.

    ReplyDelete

Questions/comments/concerns?

Propaganda propelled by a gay vegan.