5.14.2008

Remembering why I became vegan, VEGAN BOLOGNESE!

I think as we move forward and stay true to our commitment of not exploiting animals, we sometimes begin to accept it as our way of life and tend to forget those things that really got us moving in this direction. I can remember being a vegetarian and not seeing anything wrong with eating fish and cheese. I can also remember when I began to discover the horrors of animal exploitation in all areas that they can be used as products. That was when I made a conscious effort to eliminate all animal products from my life because I knew my actions needed to support my ethics and values.

I vividly remember the first time I saw Earthlings. For me, and many I know, it was a life-changing film. I know it's hard to watch for many people, but for those who need to touch base with that surge of energy that sent them into a vegan lifestyle in the first place, watching that film definitely does the trick. In my opinion, it's our most powerful visual tool to show others if they're willing to see it. For those reasons, I have added it to my sidebar so you can easily view it at anytime.

I also remember one of my first vegan recipes that I cultivated and still remains one of my favorite dinners. I actually came up with it before I became vegan and I think I never posted the recipe because I felt so attached to it. Here it is though, simple as it may be, I'm sure you will all enjoy it ;)

Vegan Bolognese

1 can diced tomatoes (no salt added)
1/2 C water
1/2 C TVP (textured vegetable protein)
2 C broccoli florets
4 oz whole wheat pasta (1/2 box)
1 tbs olive oil
1 tbs lemon juice
3 cloves garlic
2 tbs chopped basil
cayenne pepper to taste (optional)
salt and pepper to taste

Begin cooking the pasta. In a pot combine the tomatoes, water, tvp, broccoli, garlic, oil, lemon juice, basil, cayenne, salt and pepper. Turn on medium heat until tvp is soft and broccoli is slightly softened too. If it gets too thin, add some water. Remove from heat. Add to cooked pasta. That's it, it usually takes about 15 minutes!!!



P.S. I just read that polar bears have just been added to the protected species list :( Also, who's going the the Veggie Pride Parade in NYC this Sunday?? I'll be there!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions/comments/concerns?

Propaganda propelled by a gay vegan.