3.21.2009

Vegan Scones!

I'm back! And I have been quite a busy bee lately! I know, same story as usual, but I know I couldn't hold out on you guys any longer ;)

So, today I have a VERY special recipe for you! If you recall from my past tweets on Twitter, I am a HUGE fan of the vegan oatmeal date scones at Whole Foods. Well, I have come up with my own, identical version and have been enjoying them for breakfast daily. They're so easy to make and come out perfectly every time. I didn't really tie in the oatmeal, but if you wanted to go all out, I'm sure you could substitute the flour in this recipe for oat flour. Oh, and they have dates, which I normally hate ;) Check em' out:



Orange Walnut Date Scones

3.5 C whole wheat pastry flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2/3 C Earth Balance
1 C walnuts
1 C dates (pitted)
1 C non-dairy milk
2 oranges (zest only)
1/2 C maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl and stir to combine. Add the Earth Balance and "cut" into the flour. Use can simply use your hands to work the Earth Balance into the flour. Cut it in until it the mixture becomes uniform and grainy. Add the walnuts and dates into a food processor and pulse until they are coarsely chopped. You can also do this with a knife on a cutting board. Add to the flour mixture. Then add the non-dairy milk, orange zest, maple syrup, and vanilla. Use your hands to combine everything into a soft dough. Use a 3/4 C measuring cup to scoop portions of the mixture out onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for approximately 15-18 minutes, or until browned and toasty on the outside. Allow to cool and enjoy. You can even freeze them and reheat them in a 350 degree over for about 5-7 minutes in the morning.

Makes about 8 scones.

Tips: You can substitute the maple syrup for agave nectar to save on $$$.

I hope everyone gets to try this recipe out because it's one of my favorites now! I have more recipes building up over here and just need to get them out to you, so make sure you subscribe below if you haven't already so you don't miss the next update. Also, Podcast #8 is out and I should be getting new videos up soon! Until then...

Subscribe to Eating Consciously by Email




I'm on Facebook too!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions/comments/concerns?

Propaganda propelled by a gay vegan.