2.19.2009

Vegan Drinks and Vegan BBQ!

I am sitting here, anxiously awaiting the first EVER Vegan Drinks Philly event I have been coordinating for the past month. The response has been so inspiring! I have over 100 confirmations via Facebook and email. It will be interesting to see the amount of people that actually show up. I think that this event will not only introduce people to veganism, but also get those who are already vegan involved in different types of activism. I feel that when people know they're part of a group and not just an individual person, they are more compelled to DO something! ;)

Anyway, I decided that it's about time I got that BBQ seitan ribs recipe up that I've been talking about. I'm actually going to give it to you in two installments. Today, I'm going to tell you how to make the sauce. I never used to even know how they made BBQ sauce, but once I realized how easy it is to make, I never buy it now.

BBQ sauce is a tricky things because peoples' tastes vary wildly for it. Some like it spicy, some like it sweet, and others like it smokey. I prefer it a little on the sweet side with an adequate amount of spice and undertones of smokeyness. This is a pretty good basic recipe and I will give you some suggestions for alterations at the end.

BBQ sauce

1 can tomato sauce (I use organic, no salt added)
1/2 C agave nectar
1/4 C blackstap molasses
1/2 tsp chipotle powder
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp ground ginger
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all the above ingredients in a bowl. Done.

For a spicier sauce - add 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
For a less spicy sauce - omit the chipotle.
For a sweeter sauce - use ketchup instead of tomato sauce
For a less sweet sauce - use only 1/4 cup agave nectar
For a smoky sauce - add a few drops of liquid smoke.
For a variation - add some minced garlic, freshly grated ginger, or lime juice.

How easy was that?

Here it is over the seitan "ribs" which you'll get the recipe for soon!



Be sure to subscribe to get the seitan "ribs" recipe.

I also just uploaded a basic seitan making video on YouTube.


Subscribe to Eating Consciously by Email




I'm on Facebook too!

1 comment:

  1. Oh whao.....those seitan stakes look amaaaaazing!!! I'm drooling.

    ReplyDelete

Questions/comments/concerns?

Propaganda propelled by a gay vegan.