9.19.2009

Cabbage and Sausage Soup

Sorry it's been a tad longer than usual since the last post, but I have A TON of stuff going on right about now. I wanted to swing in to drop off a new soup recipe I came up with for you guys since the cold weather will be here before we know it.

I recently bought two heads of cabbage on a whim, only to realize when I got home that I had no idea what to make with them! The result was this surprisingly delectable cabbage soup featuring field roast sausage links. So good!!

Cabbage and Sausage Soup



2 TBS olive oil
2 Field Roast links, diced (I used Smoked Apple Sage, any vegan sausage will do)
1 medium onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 TBS dried sage
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 C dried green lentils
1/2 C brown rice, uncooked
1 small head of cabbage, sliced into 1/4" strips (about 6-8 cups chopped)
6-8 C water, depending on desired brothiness
1 vegan vegetable bouillon cube
1 TBS salt
1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground

In a soup pot, over medium-high heat, cook the oil, vegan sausage pieces, onions, garlic, sage, paprika, cayenne pepper, lentils, and rice until lentils and rice begin to get toasty and slightly browned (about 5-10 minutes). Add the cabbage and cover with lid, stirring every 2 or 3 minutes until cabbage is soft and begins to look translucent. Add water, bouillon cube, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for one hour.


In other news, I recently made the cover of American Vegan! I wanted to put up a PDF, but unfortunately I'm having scanner difficulties. I will post it as soon as I can get to fixing the technical difficulty unless they upload the issue to their website first. Be on the lookout!

I have lots of other exciting projects in the works, but some things must remain a secret for now ;)

Until the next post...

Don't miss another post! Subscribe to Eating Consciously by Email

Find me elsewhere...

www.veganfacebook.com
www.vegantwitter.com
www.veganexaminer.com
www.veganyoutube.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions/comments/concerns?

Propaganda propelled by a gay vegan.