4.04.2009

Hollandaise Sauce

I know I mentioned in my last post that I would give you that vegan Crab Cake recipe and I still have every intention of doing so in the NEXT post, but this sauce is great over the cakes, so I wanted to share this first. It's my take on a hollandaise sauce, which is usually made from dairy butter and chickens egg yolks. I am happy to say you will find neither of those ingredients here, but you will find a delectable sauce that you can use to turn even the simplest steamed vegetables into a fancy side dish.



Hollandaise Sauce

1/4 C whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 C olive oil
2 C water
1 TBS lemon juice
2 TBS nutritional yeast
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp nutmeg

In a saucepan, over medium heat, cook the pastry flour and olive oil together for about 5 minutes stirring constantly. A thick paste will form. Turn heat down to medium-low and begin adding the water 1/2 C at a time, making sure to work out any lumps before adding more. A whisk is helpful, but not necessary. Once all the water is combined, add the nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, and nutmeg. Continue to heat on medium-low, stirring frequently for 5-10 minutes, until sauce is hot and thick.

Tip- This sauce can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge for several days. So, you can make a batch now and be ready for the crab cakes when I post them! ;)

I have begun work on the ebook and could still use a few more testers, so shoot me an email if you're interested. I have also taken on a few more projects that I can't reveal too much about yet, but will share them with you shortly! I will be a guest on Vegan Radio on April 30th around 7:30 pm, you can listen live on Valley Free Radio's website, or you can download the episode from iTunes the day after.

Don't miss out on that crab cake recipe, subscribe below the receive all future updates in your email box.

Subscribe to Eating Consciously by Email




I'm on Facebook too!

1 comment:

  1. Ed..thanks for all you do. I have been a vegetarian for 15 years and about a year ago decided to go all out..VEGAN!! I must admit, most people think I have lost my mind, so your humorous "10 questions" really struck a chord. I live in a very small, rural, southern town (south of Nashville)and the nearest Whole Foods is an hour away. The only grocery store we have is Wal-mart and if you have been in there lately..you understand my options are somewhat limited. Forget, organic options. So, I tend to eat the same stuff over and over again..alas, your website. I love the recipes you have shared and appreciate the "easy" ingredients and instructions, I cannot wait to try the hollandaise sauce..most of the ingredients are my staples. Again, thanks and keep it coming.

    Elizabeth Winterburn

    ReplyDelete

Questions/comments/concerns?

Propaganda propelled by a gay vegan.