5.19.2008

Vegan Tacos!

Incase you missed it, I wanted to mention the article about the Veggie Pride Parade published in the New York Times today!
My friend, Lisa Melian, has a quote in the article too. There's a picture of her in my post from yesterday, she and her boyfriend dressed in fabulous cow costumes!

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/19/nyregion/19pride.html?scp=1&sq=veggie+pride&st=nyt

Now for the food!

This is a lunch I make often because it only takes about 20 minutes from start to finish! Today, I went the extra mile and made a quick guacamole and sour cream.

For the tacos:

1 can diced tomatoes
1/2 C water
4 cloves garlic (crushed)
1/2 C TVP
2 C frozen bell pepper strips
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
salt and pepper (to taste)

This is so easy, just throw everything into a pan and cook over med-high heat for about 10-15 minutes until everything is hot and the TVP is soft.



For the guacamole:

1 ripe avocado (diced)
1/2 small onion (diced)
salt and pepper

Mix together. Done!



For the sour cream:

1/4 block extra firm tofu (any tofu should work)
1 tsp lemon juice
pinch of salt

Put everything into a food processor, or as I did, into a coffee grinder. Pulse until well blended. Done!




To assemble, use whatever carrier you prefer. I chose a whole wheat tortilla. It's also great if you sprinkle a little nutritional yeast over it! Enjoy!!

1 comment:

  1. I am new to the vegetarian lifestyle, I love the recipies you share, but I don't know what some of the ingredients are nor where to find them, (such as TVP in this recipe.) Could you please give me some insight.

    ReplyDelete

Questions/comments/concerns?

Propaganda propelled by a gay vegan.