10.25.2008

Perfect Polenta

I love polenta! It's great as a substitute for scrambled eggs and can even be mixed with crumbled tofu to create an even eggier look. I have always thought making polenta was time consuming, but I have not found that to be so. When purchasing polenta it may also be called corn grits and may come in an instant version. I have used the instant version and the regular, coarser version and they both work well. The instant variety does have a smoother texture, but they are both equally delicious. Here is how I prepare my polenta and as you can see I have served it with toast and a little earth balance:



Perfect Polenta:

1/3 C cornmeal
1 C water
2 TBS nutritional yeast (or more if you like!)
1 clove garlic
1 TBS olive oil
salt and pepper to taste (I like a lot of black pepper in this)

In a pot, combine the cornmeal, water, nutritional yeast, garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then turn heat down to low-med and cover. Stir every two minutes or so to avoid sticking to the bottom (it's inevitable, some will stick to the bottom, but you don't want a large amount to collect there). After the cornmeal mixture has cooked for about 10 minutes, it should be sticky and gooey. Pour out onto a plate and serve warm, or allow to cool and slice into pieces.

Tip: The sliced pieces can even be baked in the oven, or fried in a pan for even more deliciousness!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions/comments/concerns?

Propaganda propelled by a gay vegan.