2.14.2009

When life hands you a vegan baking catastrophe...

make a fabulous vegan dessert! That's right, I had a baking mishap this morning. As I'm sure you can relate, when you experiment with recipes, sometimes you don't get the outcome you desire. Fortunately, we can sometimes fix it and make it even better!

That's what happened to me this morning. I decided I would bake some beet cupcakes that would resemble red velvet cake. Well, I have never made any beet cupcakes, let alone ones from scratch, so I just threw a bunch of stuff in a bowl. Unfortunately, I don't think I added enough flour, because the cupcakes sank down like they were deflating. Here's what I ended up with:



So, although they tasted delicious, they had a weird texture and obviously weren't very pretty except for their color. ;) The worst part was I already made a great "cream cheese" frosting.

Okay, so I wanted something with a little Valentine's Day flare, which is why I made them red in the first place. I knew I could make some banana, cranberry, almond cupcakes that would be yummy, so I made them. Then I topped them with the tasty frosting, and added an extra special garnish... the messed up ones! I cut their bright red tops off and carved little hearts out with a knife. I plopped them on top of each cupcake and ta-dah! they were beautiful!



So festive!!

Happy Valentine's Day!


Subscribe to Eating Consciously by Email




I'm on Facebook too!

3 comments:

  1. Well the "ruined" ones look a little bit like tarts--I bet they would have been good with a filling of some sort ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @nannykim unfortunately, they didn't have the texture of tarts. They were pretty gummy. Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hardly a catastrophe at all- They look great, even before the frosting fix!

    ReplyDelete

Questions/comments/concerns?

Propaganda propelled by a gay vegan.