3.27.2008

Vegetable Worshippers Lasagna


I went to Reading Terminal Market yesterday and picked up a ton of fruits and vegetables, so I decided to make some vegetable lasagna for dinner last night. I ended up skipping out on the pasta because I wanted to use up the 5 pounds of yellow squash that were very ripe and ready to be eaten. This dish was totally experimental, but came out AMAZING! Didn't miss the pasta at all and the tofu cheese I made was very satisfying. Ok, so here it goes:

Makes one large pan, about 9x15 inches.

1 block of extra firm tofu
1 c unsweetened soy milk
5 cloves garlic
5 lbs of yellow squash thinly sliced
1/2 bunch of collard greens (deveined)
1/2 c sunflower seeds
1 can of no salt added tomato sauce
2 TBS olive oil
1 TBS lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste (I used a lot in this recipe)

In a food processor, blend the tofu, soy milk, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste. This will be your vegan ricotta cheese. First make a layer of sliced squash, don't skimp, pile the slices right on top of each other until you can no longer see the bottom of the pan. I did a sprinkle of salt and pepper over the squash. Next, smear a thin layer of the cheese mixture over the squash. Then, layer some leaves of collard greens. I did a sprinkle of salt and pepper here too. Lastly, smear a think layer of tomato sauce. Repeat the process of layering again from the beginning. I ended up with 3 layers total, and topped it off with some more squash. After it's all assembled sprinkle some salt and pepper, olive oil, and lemon juice. Put in to a 350 degree oven and cook for 90 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. I'm gonna make this the minute I get off my apple cleanse... thanks so much for posting, looks deeeeeliciousss!

    ReplyDelete

Questions/comments/concerns?

Propaganda propelled by a gay vegan.