8.27.2008

Candle Cafe and Horizons

I recently visited two highly recommended vegan restaurants, Candle Cafe and Horizons.

Candle Cafe is located on Third Avenue at 75th Street in New York City. It is a full-service restaurant with a juice bar atmosphere and has some really amazing food.

I ordered the Tuscan Lasagna- Grilled zucchini, peppers and onions, tofu basil ricotta, soy cheese and seitan ragout topped with a tomato truffle sauce. Served with sautéed greens.



Although I forgot to snap pictures, I would recommend the Mezze Plate for first course and the Banana Cake for dessert. For wine, I would also recommend Ventura Lontué Valley Malbec, 1999 from Chile.

Last night I visited Horizons here in Philadelphia located on 7th and Kater Streets (right off of South Street). If you live in Philadelphia, or ever visit, you MUST have dinner at Horizons. In my opinion, Horizons is one of the top vegan restaurants in the country and probably even the world. The atmosphere is an upscale, intimate 35-seat dining room with a 7-seat wine bar. They also have a more casual lounge and rum bar downstairs where they have happy hour on Thursdays and recently started a late night experience on Saturdays starting at 11pm.

For the first course we had a sticky and sweet Jamaican BBQ Seitan:



For our second courses we tried the Garbanzo Crusted Tempeh:



We also had the Five Mushrooms:



For dessert, we enjoyed the Chocolate Peanut Butter Bomb with Peanut Butter Ice Cream:



We also had my favorite, the Saffron Creme Brulee with Lemon-Hazelnut Biscotti:



Luckily I didn't forget to take any pictures at Horizons and as I have already stated, I HIGHLY recommend you visit.

This just goes to show you how "limited" us vegans are when dining out. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions/comments/concerns?

Propaganda propelled by a gay vegan.